TWD - CHOCOLATE CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES

COME JOIN THE HALLOWEEN PARTY! Costumes, Food, Fun, and Prizes!
It was an eeery Saturday night, with a slight chill in the air, and spirits were restless. So the DH and I dressed up in our costumes and had the local witch fly us over to the annual Halloween Party at our dance club. Let's hope that big bad wolf doesn't decide he is hungry. Well, I know him personally and he's not big or bad really, but he is usually hungry.
Guess what is hiding in Little Red Riding Hood's basket?

If you guessed Chocolate Chocolate Cupcakes, you guessed correctly. I thought, why not kill two birds with one stone? I wanted to bake these cupcakes for TWD this week, and I needed to take food in my basket to the party - so that worked out perfectly for me! The only problem was since Lil Red Riding Hood only had twelve cupcakes, she had to be selective as to who would get to sample those tasty morsels and not seem to others like she was hoarding them for herself.
Thanks to all the TWD comments you left regarding the cupcakes. I took what you said, adjusted things, and my cupcakes turned out pretty perfect tasting. I substituted semi-sweet chips for the bittersweet and I added a dollop of sour cream to the batter to help make them moist.

I baked them for only 18 minutes. I was disappointed that they did not rise up to the top of my muffin cups. I'm thinking maybe I mistakenly bought huge mama baking cups and should have filled them with more batter. After they cooled, I piped in a little marshmallow creme. I made the ganache to put on top, but it barely covered the tops of them. Did I read that recipe wrong? I thought I would be creative and decorate them them with candy corn, etc., but wouldn't you know the local grocery store had sold out of regular candy corn. They only had caramel candy corn. VERY frustrating. I mean for gosh sakes it is Halloween week. Who doesn' t have a plentiful supply of candy corn. The caramel corn did taste good. I tried to make spider webs on top with orange icing, that didn't work. I scraped that off and and settled for some crude circles which were really just blobs of orange icing. I know what you are thinking. How could I take these wonderful, elegant cupcakes and turn them into simple cupcakes with orange globs on top that look like they were decorated by someone's three year old? Well rather than lie to you all and tell you I had a little helper, I'll just confess - I'm not a good cake decorator. You probably figured that out already from the pictures. But the good news is the cupcakes were outstanding! Thanks to Clara of I Heart Food4Thought for choosing these as our challenge for the week. Click on her link for the recipe.

Who doesn't love cupcakes. There is just something intrinsically different about these tiny little cake wonders. I feel young when I eat a cupcake. Maybe it is their smallness, but does size really matter? It is like having your own little dessert that is not big enough that you have to share. Have you ever noticed how you can offer one to the biggest man hunk you know and suddenly he turns into a little boy again? They make people smile and I like that.

A little cupcake history. Cupcakes first arrived on the scene in the late 18th century. The name likely came from the amount of ingredients used to create a cupcake–a cup each of flour, butter and sugar. Or, it could come from the fact that they were baked in teacups or cup-shaped moulds.
Can you imagine a CUP of butter? I dunno, sounds like Dorie had a hand in that original recipe. No offense Dorie, I actually love the butter in your recipes, but my waistline is showing it.
I'm having a Pay-It-Forward Give-A-Way as a special Halloween treat. It will be a giftcard. Do not forget to leave me a comment between today and Thursday. I'll be using a random number generator to decide the winner and I will post the winner's name on Friday, Halloween. I'll get your email address then and send you the prize. Sorry - I can only have one winner!

Here are a few of my friends/goblins that survived gobbling up my slightly ghoulish cupcakes at the party! And on a serious note, stay off those brooms, run from ghosts and goblins, eat, drink, be merry, and have a SAFE and HAPPY HALLOWEEN!







Comments

natalia said…
Ciao ! I actually love your decorations ! I like your costumes too !
Sihan said…
i love the costumes! way to go with the cupcakes as well! they look and sounds lovely!
Amanda said…
I think everyone's came out flat, mine did too, but they were divine! Your party looks like so much fun!
Cathy said…
Peggy, these look so great! Little Red Riding Hood and the Big Bad Wolf -- too funny! Looks like a fun party! I'm glad that you figured out a way to keep them moist -- mine were . . . not. I also wish I knew you needed candy corn -- God knows I had some leftovers to spare. Although I can't STAND it when stores run out of seasonal items that should be well stocked (Publix was out of canned pumpkin a couple of weeks ago) -- makes me cranky.
Prudy said…
YOu look so pretty in your costume with the big bad wolf! What fun costumes. I was little red one year but my husband was the woodcutter. Your cupcakes look delicious!
Sabrina said…
Love the costume, love the cupcakes, love it all!!! Waaaa-ooooo (that is me howling)
These cupcakes came at the perfect time! Your cupcakes look cute and everyone's costumes are well done!
CB said…
You and hubs are so cute in your costumes. I think like the S&P couple the best. So funny! Glad you were able to make the cupcakes for your Halloween party. Thanks for baking with me this week!
Clara @ iheartfood4thought
Nancy/n.o.e said…
Your cupcakes look adorable! And the dance club shindig seemed like quite a fun event. Good job making those (I'll bet the filling just added to the deliciousness)
Nancy
Nancy/n.o.e said…
Oops, and yes, I'll pay it forward. Yeah for prizes!
Nancy
chocolatechic said…
Oh...they look great!

Super costumes, too.
Flourchild said…
Wow what a fun party..and you make a darling Little Red Riding Hood! Im glad you liked the cc, they look grand!
Sabrina said…
P.S. I def. plan on paying it forward with a give away! ;)
NKP said…
A costume party, how fun! I got 11 cupcakes out of our batter. I thought that with the small amount of leavener they would be more brownie-like.
Looks like you guys had a lot of fun - great job on your cupcakes.
i love your costume! where did you get it? the cupcakes look delish too!
Your cupcakes look great! Cute costume too!
Anonymous said…
Who is buying all the candy corn?? I am not a good decorator either but yours sound fabulous!
Marthe said…
I love your costume!! The party must have been a lot of fun and I'm sure everyone that was lucky enough to get a cupcake enjoyed them!
Engineer Baker said…
Who sells out of candy corn?!? Seriously! Cute costumes though :)
TeaLady said…
Wasn't it you who told me its the taste that counts. Anyway, those orange 'blobs' could be orange ghosts rising from your cup cake. Mine were flat, not real sweet, but they were better than the muffins. Nice job, LRR.

P.S. Thanks for visiting.
TeaLady said…
I think all that chocolate took my brain away. I will pay forward the giftie. Probably a cook book. Thanks for the offer.
Amanda said…
Haven't had time to read yet but wanted to enter. See you on Thursday
Tammy said…
great costumes and cute cakes!
Matt's Kitchen said…
What a fun party. I love the pictures of all of the grownups in their Halloween costumes.

Marshamallow creme and ganache works for me! Who cares if the cupcakes didn't rise? More room for marshmallow, one of my many guilty pleasures...
Pamela said…
How fun that everyone got dressed up for the Halloween party. You made a lovely Red Riding Hood! I hope everyone enjoyed the cupcakes. And hope you and your family enjoy Halloween, too.
Di said…
Your cupcakes look great! And I love the party pictures. I bought some caramel candy corn recently. It's not as brightly colored as the regular stuff, but boy is it tasty. =) I'd love to be in the running for your giveaway, and yes, I would pay it forward.
Unknown said…
Your cupcakes look wonderful! Glad they worked out for your party :) Love your costumes too!
Misty said…
Hey - yeah, it was a portobello mushroom. It looks like steak though.

I love cupcakes too. I like any miniature foods. I think your decorating was just fine. I certainly wouldn't have turned one down.

Love the costumes!
Jacque said…
What's important is the taste, not the decorations. And what counts is that you tried :)

Looks like a fun party!
Julie said…
#1 Size does matter.
Julie said…
#2 Your ganache is flippin' gorgeous - go check out mine using the same method....what tha.....
Julie said…
#3 I want to borrow that costume for next year.
Julie said…
#4 - I figured out that if you're using a random number generator I could just leave multiple messages and increase my chances of winning.
Julie said…
#5 Seriously, those have to be GINORMOUS cupcake tins.
Julie said…
#6 This one is just for the sheer joy I get from irritating people who think this is cheating
Anne said…
What a fun party! My cupcakes were flat too but still yummy. Your look delicious- great job!
Julie said…
#7 This is not cheating. I am simply creating opportunity for myself
Teanna DiMicco said…
How cute! Cupcakes in a basket! LOVE it!!
Heather said…
I love your Halloween costumes! Very cute!
Shari said…
Love your costumes!
Looks like a great time was had by all! I liked your cuppies and I'll bet all the chosen ones did too.
Anonymous said…
Looks like your halloween party was a blast. The one we usually go to was canceled this year. Your cupcakes look good.
AmyRuth said…
Looks like you had a fun Halloween. Always fun to get into a costume and pretend. Even when you're a big kid. Right? Thought you cupcakes were adorable and so glad you and friends liked them. Boo Hoo sorry I missed out on the give away fun. Maybe next time.
AmyRuth
AmyRuth said…
No worries...totally been there. Even this week I did that. Must be the Halloween Fog. he he
Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving kind words. Isn't this so fun? I love making new friends and sharing the sugar love.
AmyRuth
LyB said…
Very cute cupcakes! Looks like a fun party you had there! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Ina Garten's Deviled Eggs!

TWD - Steph’s Bakewell Tart

TWD - Brown Sugar Bundt Cake