CEiMB - Jewel Roasted Vegetables

This week's recipe was chosen by A Year From Oak Cottage. I had doubts at first. Even though I like beets, I have never eaten a fresh beet much less looked for them in the market. The clerk tried to charge $3.00 per beet, but finally rang up the $3.00 for the entire bunch. I thought that was still a bit spendy. And what do you do with all that greenery that comes with?

I once took a photography course. Don't snicker. I can hear you! Apparently I did not learn much. Note my carrot teepee below. It might look more like orange towers, but don't be deceived. It's a teepee. I get bored with just chopping sometimes.I added one large yellow onion to my vegetables. I was surprised at how easily the beets peeled after cooking them. However, I had red fingernails when I finished. Yikes. Should have worn gloves. I forgot to buy fresh thyme, so it cooked without that.
My kids have asked me for a list of things I want for Christmas. I'm having trouble coming up with things. Then I thought maybe you guys could help out. If you could choose one kitchen item that has been the most handy/helpful to you in your cooking/baking, what would it be?

I loved this recipe. I became a fan of fresh beets tonight. The brussel sprouts, carrots and onion all tasted delicious mixed together.
Here is the recipe if you want to try it. I think you'll like it.

Ingredients
4 medium beets
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 1/2 pounds carrots
1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts
8 large garlic cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon freshly chopped thyme leaves
Directions
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Put the beets into a small baking dish and rub them with 1 tablespoon of oil. Cover the dish with foil and put into the oven for 30 minutes.
In the meantime, peel and cut the carrots into 1-inch pieces, trim the Brussels sprouts and halve them lengthwise, and peel the garlic cloves. Put the carrots, Brussels sprouts and garlic cloves into a large baking dish and toss with the remainder of the oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
After the beets have been cooking for 30 minutes add the large pan of vegetables to the oven and cook everything for 1 hour more, stirring the vegetable mixture once or twice.
Remove the beets from the oven and transfer them to a cutting board to cool. Stir the thyme into the carrot and Brussels sprouts mixture and let it continue to cook for another 10 minutes while the beets are cooled and cut. When the beets are cool enough to handle, about 5 minutes, peel them and cut them into 1-inch pieces. Remove the other vegetables from the oven, toss with the beets, season with salt and pepper, to taste, and serve.


Comments

Cathy said…
These look great! You know I struggled before finally deciding to sit this one out (just can't do beets and brussel sprouts) but yours have me second guessing myself! As for kitchen gadgets -- just one? Really? Here are just a few on my list: digital scale, ice cream maker, splatter guard, fat separator, cookie press, silpat mats, citrus juicer.
I think that I should have sat this one out. The item in my kitchen that I love the most is my Pampered Chef Chopper. I use it almost every day! On my wish list for Christmas is an ice cream attachment for my KA.
Jennifer said…
Your veggies look great Peggy!

I agree - picking just one kitchen item is hard. So here are a few things that I couldn't live without1) my Henkels knives; (2) microplane; (3) maviel copper pans(better known in my house as chester copper pot); (4) hand potato masher; (5) wooden spatula thingy.

I found the best cooking store ever in "Bham" - Birmingham Bake and Cook. Granted it might as well be in a different state - its on Valleydale Road in the shopping center with Indigo Joes and Daylight Donuts - just past the Kohls. It has so much fun cooking/ baking stuff!!! You should check it out! You can make a "wishlist" there of stuff you would like! Serioulsy, I was like a kid in a candy store!
Mary Ann said…
Yeah! I am so glad you liked these. Fresh beets and brussel sprouts are so yummy. I really hope that you cooked the beet greens- they are soo yummy!
Elizabeth said…
I love my food processor!

But I also love my cookie dough scoop and my zester and my KA mixer (and my KA ice cream attachment).

Those are the things that I really miss when I try to cook away from home (you mean, some people knead dough by hand?!).
Annette said…
Sounds great! I love beets and brussel sprouts. My favorite items in my kitchen are: my wusthof knives, All-Clad pots and pans, Williams-Sonoma half-sheet pans, stainless steel colander, stainless steel whisk, KA stand mixer, food processor...I could go on and on. :)
MacDuff said…
This looks great! I took a photography class once, too, and I certainly did not learn how to construct a carrot typee. So you've one-upped me.
The Blonde Duck said…
I thought your carrots looked nice!
Nancy/n.o.e said…
I'm glad you loved the veggies. I'm with Cathy: no beets or brussels for me. I've cooked brussels for a group but it only confirmed that I hate them.

I love my microplane, silicone mats, and my kitchen scale. Also, I got one of those fat knives and it's amazing for chopping.

My Christmas list includes: Kugelhopf pans, beater blade for my KitchenAid mixer, immersion blender, pie weights, some exotic spices and flavorings (the King Arthur catalog has some great stuff), and a couple of cookbooks (really, but that's probably a dumb idea, since I have so many already).

Nancy

Popular posts from this blog

Ina Garten's Deviled Eggs!

TWD - Steph’s Bakewell Tart

TWD - Brown Sugar Bundt Cake