TWD - Coconut Butter Thins

Jayne of The Barefoot Kitchen Witch chose Coconut Butter Thins for our Tuesdays With Dorie group this week. Check out Jayne's blog for the recipe and her great photos (especially of mudpies and pink caviar!).

I was very hesitant to make these cookies since coconut cookies sounded about as fun as a sharp stick in my eye. Coconut cookies? Yikes. Give me a good ole Almond Joy however and I am in heaven! Cathy and Amanda talked me into trying them.

I still remember tasting my first macadamia nut. It was in Hawaii and I was in my 20's. Everything seemed better in our 20's didn't it? But even then I thought, I'm not going to waste my life worrying about the foods I eat, high cholestrol, etc. I mean why forego any pleasure just to spend an extra three years in the geriatric ward? And people who eat all natural stuff? Craaazy I say. Personally I stay away from natural foods. At my age I need all the preservatives I can get!

The entire time I was zesting my lime I kept thinking of that Nilson song:

Brother bought a coconut, he bought it for a dime
His sister had another one, she paid it for the lime
She put the lime in the coconut, drink 'em both together
She put the lime in the coconut, drink 'em both up
She put the lime in the coconut, drink 'em both together
Put the lime in the coconut,
call the doctor, woke him up, sayDoctor!
Ain't there nothin' I can take, I sayDoctor!
To relieve this bellyache, I sayDoctor!
Ain't there nothin' I can take, I sayDoctor!
To relieve my bellyache
I put the lime in the coconut, drink 'em both together
Put the lime in the coconut, I drink 'em both down
I put the lime in the coconut, drink 'em both together
Put the lime in the coconut, call de Doctor, woke him up, say

When I was measuring the cookies with an actual ruler I felt as though I was making saltines for some reason. Don't even try to tell me you don't see the similarity here. They are sisters for sure in appearance. But not in taste. Now, I pride myself on thinking I can measure things with my eyes. I can tell if a picture on a wall is a half an inch off center. But I did as Dorie suggested and I measured these cookies. And they still weren't perfectly square!! Nor were they all the same size which I didn't get at all. Pricking them with a fork was a twist for sure too.


I made these while trying to watch Dancing with the Stars and Heroes. Yes, I am a television addict. Is there an AA program for that? If so, I probably need to join up. I mean I find it hard to be away from a television for any length of time, I use Tivo like a drug, and I sometimes plan my life around certain shows. Wow, in print that sure sounds like an addict doesn't it? You can tell me I need to get a life, but you have to give me an A+ for multi-tasking! But when summer comes, I am glad the tv shows are on summer break as well, because I have to be outside as much as possible!

Rating: These were some of the best cookies I have ever tasted. I couldn't stop eating them. I could have eaten the entire tray of them! Thanks Jayne for a great selection this week!

Since I had "McDreamy" last week, I felt it only right to have "McSteamy" come by for a visit this week. I didn't like McSteamy at first. After all, he was a "cheater." But I have come to appreciate his good looks and cute charm these days. So much so that he has become my very favorite character on Grey's Anatomy! Enjoy girls.
Check back Thursday for Buffalo Chicken Salad.

Comments

Pamela said…
Did you and Cathy have to tell jokes to the HR person who hired you?? You guys write the best posts! Thanks for the laugh!

I loved these cookies, too and I was sure they were just going to be "eh." I'm so glad I was wrong. I'm also glad I only made a 1/2 batch...because I can't stop eating them!

Thanks for the eye candy again. There's a reason they call him McSteamy...he's HOT!!!
Audrey said…
I never knew all the words to that song. I feel enriched, somehow...:) and speaking of enriched, weren't these GOOD?
Sihan said…
I'm so glad you loved the cookies.. i weren't so crazy about them. but yours look pretty good at least. YAY!
Marthe said…
Great cookies, I really liked them too!! I have never heared of that song!
Sabrina said…
I'm not a coconut fan either. And I didnt have any so I used almonds. They were pretty good.
You did a fantastic job!
Jessica said…
I love that song! I hadn't heard of it before this week but now I'm seriously pondering the need to download it. I thought that these cookies were sooo good! I'm glad that you liked them!
Maria said…
I can't believe I haven't made these yet, they look awesome! I always love your posts:)
Nancy/n.o.e said…
Great minds get stuck on the same song, right? I totally agree on the cookies - what a very delicious surprise they were!
Nancy
Teanna DiMicco said…
Success!!!!! I hope everything isn't better in your twenties... I still have three years left and I hope it doesn't all go downhill! Hahah!

I'd like to be in Hawaii, though... sigh...

Anyways, the cookies look great and I am so glad you loved them!
Flourchild said…
Oh what a nice treat for my eyes at the end of your blog..hee hee..I think I'd take him over these cookies anyday!
Im so glad you liked the cookies, they look grand!
Thanks for the song too, it's cute!
Cathy said…
LOL!!!! I'm so glad that we gave you the nudge you needed to make these, because (1) you enjoyed them -- yay!, and (2) your post cracked me up! SO glad you enjoyed these, Peggy. Now I am going to come around so we can discuss 19th century British literature and the film adaptations of same.
Anonymous said…
I had that song in my head all last spring when we made the Florida Pie. Now it's back.

What did we do before we could record, pause and rewind TV? I shudder at the memories.
Unknown said…
Nice job on the cookies - and thanks for getting that song stuck in my head!
Tammy said…
we have dancing with the stars in NZ as well. I tend to do cross stitch while I watch it. Now I am singing the lime in the coconut song!!!!
Susan @ SGCC said…
"At my age I need all the preservatives I can get!" Amen, Sister! I feel the same way!

Your cookies look delicious! Glad you enjoyed them. Well done!
Anonymous said…
Love McSteamy!

Your cookies look wonderful. I'm glad you loved them. I did too! YUM.
Rachel said…
OMG I need to join your TV-a-holic group! I made mine while watching Chuck and Gossip Girl...
The Blonde Duck said…
I do write children's stories too! In fact, I'm just about to publish one!
TeaLady said…
I loved that song. Wow!! Memories!!

We really, really liked these cookies. And yours look really good too. Worth the fewer days in the nursing home.

Is something to think about. Not enjoying now and saving for later. Enjoy now!
These do look like saltines! :) And I'll be in that TV group with you. The best inventions on earth are fire, the wheel and the DVR.
Joanne said…
I love that song! It just gets you dancing and singing like a fool.
The cookies sound great.
Anonymous said…
These were great cookies! I never knew the words for that song either!
Di said…
Great post, and great cookies! I have a dedicated kitchen ruler for tasks like these cookies. Sadly, I'm going to have my lime without the coconut (can't stand it, won't even let it in the house). Dancing with the Stars is a popular show in our house--my 6yo loves it.

Popular posts from this blog

Ina Garten's Deviled Eggs!

TWD - Steph’s Bakewell Tart

TWD - Brown Sugar Bundt Cake