Daily Devotional - Angels Among Us?

I have always had a fascination with angels.  I love reading about them, looking at photos of them, admiring statues of them.  Have you ever studied about angels?  I thought I would take a minute this morning in my "quiet" time and just read what the Bible has to say about angels.  I know that angels are mentioned in the Bible from the beginning (Genesis) to the end (Revelation) so they must be important.

The word “angel” is from the Greek word aggelos.  Aggelos means “messenger.” In Hebrew the word mal'ak means angel.

Angels are not glorified human beings.  They are spirits.  I think of angels as beings that communicate with God and then somehow pass that information on to us.  In Matthew 22:30 we read that angels do not marry or reproduce.  Also, there is no mention that I can find of an angel being a chubby little baby.  They are all adults.  I also think when they took human form in the Bible, they were mostly males.  The angel Gabriel, for example, came to Mary to tell her she was going to have a baby and name him Jesus.

Angels are mentioned at least 108 times in the Old Testament and 165 times in the New Testament.  I'm not sure if angels carry out the same tasks or if each angel has their own specific talents.  From what I read, angels were most likely created in the beginning when God created the earth. 

Hebrews 13:2 says "be not forgetful to entertain strangers, for in doing so some have unwittingly entertained angels."  I always think of that passage when I pass a homeless person on the street or notice a stranger lurking off to the side seeming to stare or appear to be keeping watch over something.  Do they watch over us?  Do they protect us?  I hope so!

I've had some personal angels in my life.  You might call them friends, but to me they have been angels.  They are people God has placed in my lives at certain times to give me encouragement, comfort, and just walk beside me when I needed a friend.  God can always send someone to "make us feel better" when our lives seem to be going in the wrong direction. 

Have you had an experience with an angel?  If so, please share with me!

Angels make me happy and bring peace to my life.  I hope you all have an angel in your lives this week!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ina Garten's Deviled Eggs!

TWD - Steph’s Bakewell Tart

TWD - Brown Sugar Bundt Cake