EwE - Mulled Cider Sweet Potatoes


How does one take a delicious looking photo of a blob of mashed potatoes?  These probably would have looked more tasty had I just taken a picture of the entire bowl and not just one serving!  In our Eating with Ellie group this week it was my choice and I thought these cider potatoes would be a good beginning to fall weather.  Even though it is still hot here I can feel fall in the air.  It is coming people and soon!    However we are a bit early because Apple cider is not in season yet.  At least not here in the south.  So I substituted good old Apple Juice!   

Even though the recipe calls for two sweet potatoes i used only one but it was a big one!  And that one sweet potato made about four servings.  This was a very simple side dish to make and we liked it a lot.      You just peel your sweet potatoes, cube them, cook in boiling water until tender.  Meanwhile you make a sauce on your stove top of apple cider mixed with cinnamon nutmeg and Ginger, with butter.  The recipe called for honey but I substituted brown sugar.   Even though the spices and cider were subtle they definitely gave flavor to the potatoes.   

Come join us on Thursdays for delicious and healthy dishes.  

Comments

This is a simple and delicious dish. All of ours look the same, a plop of delicious sweet potatoes. I thought the flavoring was great. I made half the recipe but I think, I used more of the seasoning than called for and that may be why it was extra delicious.
Cakelaw said…
I used one potato too, which was heaps. Someone suggested that my apple cider might have made it a bit odd - so I am going to go with that, because there are a lot of different types of cider out there.
Kayte said…
Oh this was such a wonderful recipe! We really liked this a lot, thanks for picking it at just the right time. Yours look wonderful. I was surprised by the syrupy sauce and how calorie-friendly it was as she wrote it, I will use this sauce again, it was wonderful. Great pick!
TeaLady said…
Loved this side, Peggy, and am adding it to my sweet tater list to cook often. I steamed my sweet potatoes and added a little extra spice.

Popular posts from this blog

Ina Garten's Deviled Eggs!

TWD - Steph’s Bakewell Tart

TWD - Brown Sugar Bundt Cake