Thursday, August 27, 2015

EwE - Mulled Cider Sweet Potatoes


How does one take a delicious looking photo of a blob of mashed potatoes?  These probably would have looked more tasty had I just taken a picture of the entire bowl and not just one serving!  In our Eating with Ellie group this week it was my choice and I thought these cider potatoes would be a good beginning to fall weather.  Even though it is still hot here I can feel fall in the air.  It is coming people and soon!    However we are a bit early because Apple cider is not in season yet.  At least not here in the south.  So I substituted good old Apple Juice!   

Even though the recipe calls for two sweet potatoes i used only one but it was a big one!  And that one sweet potato made about four servings.  This was a very simple side dish to make and we liked it a lot.      You just peel your sweet potatoes, cube them, cook in boiling water until tender.  Meanwhile you make a sauce on your stove top of apple cider mixed with cinnamon nutmeg and Ginger, with butter.  The recipe called for honey but I substituted brown sugar.   Even though the spices and cider were subtle they definitely gave flavor to the potatoes.   

Come join us on Thursdays for delicious and healthy dishes.  

4 comments:

Chaya Selig said...

This is a simple and delicious dish. All of ours look the same, a plop of delicious sweet potatoes. I thought the flavoring was great. I made half the recipe but I think, I used more of the seasoning than called for and that may be why it was extra delicious.

Cakelaw said...

I used one potato too, which was heaps. Someone suggested that my apple cider might have made it a bit odd - so I am going to go with that, because there are a lot of different types of cider out there.

Kayte said...

Oh this was such a wonderful recipe! We really liked this a lot, thanks for picking it at just the right time. Yours look wonderful. I was surprised by the syrupy sauce and how calorie-friendly it was as she wrote it, I will use this sauce again, it was wonderful. Great pick!

TeaLady said...

Loved this side, Peggy, and am adding it to my sweet tater list to cook often. I steamed my sweet potatoes and added a little extra spice.