Good Food Good Friends - Candied Carrots and Yams

 Happy new year!   Hoping 2021 will be a better year for everyone!

Carrots were the focus of our food group this week.  Since it is New Year’s I decided to incorporate some carrots into my menu and that was not hard to do!   Here in the south we have a tradition that you eat lots of black-eyed peas and turnip greens or collard‘s on New Years for good luck!  My menu this year consisted of roast beef, collards, black-eyed peas, and carrots with yams.  The marshmallows on top of my carrots and yams looked beautiful when I removed from the oven but melted quickly when I scooped onto my plate.   It did not hurt the taste however.   They were oh so good!  We ate everything for New Year’s Eve and today we will have leftovers while we watch some football!  

Check out the other group members to see delicious dish they made.



Recipe

5 carrots peeled and cut into chunks
5 yams peeled and cut into chunks
1/2 stick butter
1cup brown sugar
1 teas. Pumpkin pie spice
1 teas. Cinnamon
Marshmallows for topping

Boil or roast the yams and carrots until slightly tender.  Then top with sugar and spices and pats of butter.  Cover and bake for 35-40 minutes on 350.  Remove lid, add marshmallows and broil until lightly browned.  Serve immediately.



Comments

Ulrike said…
Happy New Year Peggy!

I like the idea of using marshmallows!
Donna said…
This looks wonderful, Peggy! I have never combined carrots with my yams, but I bet it’s delicious. Happy New Year!
TeaLady said…
I wish I had thought of this. Candied yams WITH carrots. YUM!
Kayte said…
Such a pretty dish, Peggy. A showstopper on the table for sure. This looks decadent and delicious and just from the photo alone, I can almost taste it in all its buttery sugary goodness. I bet everyone wanted seconds.

Popular posts from this blog

Ina Garten's Deviled Eggs!

TWD - Steph’s Bakewell Tart

TWD - Brown Sugar Bundt Cake