Good Food Good Friends - Greens!


This week in our GFGF group the focus is on greens.  Greens are so good for us!  It is what we call soul food here in the south.  Right now we all need to be loading up on our vegetables and building our immune system.  They are very nutritious and loaded with lots of Vitamin K and other minerals.  

My all time favorite greens are collards.  I also love turnip greens, mustard greens, spinach, and lettuces.  For this post, I decided to make and share some collards. Nothing fancy, but oh so delicious! I am going to utilize my instant pot because it works really well for these.  You could also cook them in a pot on the stove, but you would need to increase cooking time.

After cooking, the liquid left behind is called pot likker.  So good to sop up with a nice piece of cornbread.  Cornbread is a must have to go with these greens, as is some good hot pepper sauce drizzled on top.  

Check back in two weeks for shell beans.


Ingredients
Olive oil 
1 prewashed bag Collards
4 slices bacon, cut into two inch pieces
1 T minced onion
2 cloves garlic
4 cups chicken broth
1 T apple cider vinegar
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp red pepper flakes
Salt and pepper

Instructions
On the saute setting, cook bacon in a teaspoon olive oil until almost done.
Add remainder of ingredients.  Seal instant pot and set manual time for 30 minutes on high pressure.  Let naturally release for fifteen minutes.

Enjoy!  Do not forget to serve with cornbread!


    Comments

    Ulrike said…
    So interesting! I'd never tried collard greens, it is literally translated to leaf cabbage. We eat leafy greens like all kinds of kale or chard, sometimes turnip greens, but not in Northern Germany.

    It was a real challenge for me, but I found mustard (micro) greens. The new hot shit for influencers ;-)
    Kayte said…
    I'm trying to figure out the whole collards thing...I have seen them on menus in the south when we travel but never braved it up enough to order any to see what they might taste like. Reading your ingredients and seeing your photo gives me a good idea and it sounds like I am ready to order some and give them a try. I'm sure there is some restaurant in Indy that must have collards on the menu...maybe? I see how you use the juice as well...there is a whole culture around this! It is fun learning about it and now I am eager to try some.
    Donna said…
    Your collards look great! I have never cooked greens in the Instant Pot, so I appreciate being able to benefit from your experience.
    TeaLady said…
    Yes, as a Southern girl I should like these but never grew up with them. I didn't grow up in the south so maybe that is why. Mom, etc, never cooked them. Dad was from Indiana had had never heard of them.
    Looks like we are similar in our 'recipes' tho.

    Popular posts from this blog

    Ina Garten's Deviled Eggs!

    TWD - Steph’s Bakewell Tart

    TWD - Brown Sugar Bundt Cake