Baking with Julia - White Loaves - First Post!




And so it begins. . . a new year. . .  a new book ..  . a new group of friends interested in baking together!

This week's challenge from the Baking with Julia group was white loaves hosted by our fearless leaders, Jules and Laurie.  I have not made bread in about twenty years, so the task seemed a bit daunting at first.  But once my loaves started to rise, I got very excited.   And my house smelled delicious all day!!

My camera is not working right and therefore the photos are a bit yellow.  My autofocus is messed up so I will have to send my camera to Nikon to get it fixed I am told.

The bread had to rise twice.  Once in a bowl, then once in the loaf pans.  Did I mention how wonderful they smelled while they were rising and baking?  Nothing like fresh bread baking.

I had a great time making this and the results were fantastic.  I definitely have renewed interest in bread baking now!  My loaves were perfect and so tasty!  I froze one loaf so I am excited that another meal of good bread is coming soon!  Did I mention how wonderful your house smells while this is baking?  :)

Check out the website to see how the other bakers fared.

Comments

Kayte said…
Oh, a renewed interest in bread baking now...so you will join me occasionally on some breads on Twitter??? Yahoo! Your loaves look nice and big...sometimes cameras are fussy, aren't they? You will get it worked out, in the meantime, let's bake bread! So happy you are joining in again.
TeaLady said…
Glad to see you enjoyed making bread. Ditto on what Kayte said. Twitter bread bakes are great. Your loaves look fantastic. Looks like you had a perfect rise!!!
Di said…
Surely three of us can talk you into some more bread baking, right? =P I'm glad you enjoyed this one; maybe next time we'll have better luck coordinating our schedules. =)
Peggy, your bread looks terrific! Tell me, did it smell good that day?
Cindy said…
Baking bread makes a house smell like home! I'm excited for another round of TWD.
Elaine said…
I loved the smell in the house. I wish I had frozen one of my loaves for later, but I guess I'll just have to make some more. Your loaves look so pretty.
Leslie said…
Look at those beautiful loaves! I'm so glad you enjoyed making them and they were such a success. It's great to be baking together again!
Nancy/n.o.e said…
Let me get this straight: did the bread smell good as it was baking? LOL I agree with every word; nothing like baking bread to awaken the inner domestic goddess.
tierneymarie said…
So true, the smell was nothing short of intoxicating! And the final product was delicious! I'm also very excited to bake more bread, as this was my first real attempt (I always say my pizza dough doesn't count). Here's to making many more TWD recipes together!
Joanne said…
What a perfect loaf. I love the smell of the kitchen when a loaf is baking. Nothing else compares.
Pamela said…
Hello!! So nice to be back baking with some familiar and friendly faces. The bread looks great. And I always wonder why I dont do it more once I have done it. Such good stuff!!
Christy said…
I love how the house smelled while the bread was baking. The loaves look really delicous. I'm always struggly with the photos - someday I'll learn how to use my camera.
Audrey said…
Hi, Peggy! It's so nice to be baking with you again. Your bread looks great -- it is a very very satisfying project, isn't it? (except when it drives you nuts).
pinkstripes said…
Your loaves look gorgeous! I'm glad to be baking with you again!

Popular posts from this blog

Ina Garten's Deviled Eggs!

TWD - Steph’s Bakewell Tart

TWD - Brown Sugar Bundt Cake