CEiMB - Fish Tacos with Chipotle Cream

Fish tales. I'm not a huge fish fan. My idea of fish is good fried catfish, really crispy and brown with some hushpuppies on the side. First, I can't buy tilapia. I just can't do it for reasons I will not go into here on this food post. If you want gory details, you'll have to email me. Second, I could not find halibut at our local Publix where I shop. Third, the mahi mahi was $16.99 a pound. I was not going to pay that much to try a dish I might not like. So I scooted over to the frozen fish aisle and bought some just plain ole whitefish.

Publix was out of corn tortillas. This is the second or third time I have tried to find those and they are always out. So I bought some corn hard shells and some flour tortillas.

I had a bit of trouble finding the chipotle in adobo sauce, but finally succeeded with that.

Because I spent all my time at Publix trying to find the necessary ingredients, I was starving and in a hurry so I did not use a grill. I just panfried the fish in a bit of olive oil. I used coleslaw instead of lettuce. I cut a big fresh avocado for our side dish. The chipotle cream was delicious. I've been trying to think of other things I could eat with the sauce. It was that good! My DH and I each tried one with the flour tortilla and one with the hard shell corn. We both decided we liked the corn taste, but wanted to be able to roll it up. Why oh why were you out of those dear Publix?

This recipe was very easy to prepare. The chipotles could get a bit hot at times. But all in all we really liked this and thought it was a nice change from the heavy meals we usually eat.

Can you tell by my photos I was hungry and ready to eat? The avocado got sliced in chunks and my PHOTOS OF THIS TACO ARE HORRID. I'm sure there is a way in this world to make a beautiful photo of a taco, but I couldn't not find it tonight. And oops, I forgot the lime wedges.

Ingredients
Fish:
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 pound white flaky fish fillet, like tilapia or halibut
Directions
Chipotle cream:
1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 teaspoons chipotle pepper, in adobo sauce
8 (6-inch) corn tortillas
1 1/2 cups shredded green cabbage or lettuce
1/2 cup corn kernels (thawed if frozen)
1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
Lime wedges
In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, lime juice, salt and pepper. Pour over the fish fillets and let marinate for 20 minutes. Put the yogurt into a strainer lined with apaper towel and place over a bowl to drain and thicken for 20 minutes.
Remove the fish from the marinade and grill on a preheated grill or nonstick grill pan over a medium-high heat until cooked thorough, about 3 minutes per side. Set the fish aside on a plate for 5 minutes.
In a small bowl combine the thickened yogurt, mayonnaise, and chipotle pepper.
Heat the tortillas on the grill or grill pan for 30 seconds on each side.
Flake the fish with a fork. Top each tortilla with 1 tablespoon of the chipotle cream. Top with fish, cabbage, corn and cilantro and serve with lime wedges.

Comments

Cathy said…
Yay, glad that you liked both of these! I could not get my chicken flat enough either. The package SAID that it was hormone-free, but I'm skeptical. I don't think they grow that big without a little assistance from science. Good call cutting down on the lemon; I added more than called for and it was WAY too lemony. We loved the fish tacos too. I can't believe they didn't have corn tortillas at Publix -- are you kidding me? I want to ask you about the tilapia, but I love tilapia so I am a little bit scared to.
Linds said…
Your piccata looks great- thanks for participating this round!
Suzie said…
The piccata looks completely delicious - but now I want to try your fish tacos as well.
Sara said…
I made that picatta recipe before we liked it a lot! The fish tacos look delicious too.
Anonymous said…
Good job pursuing the ever elusive fish. I know about the tilapia "thing". Probably for the same reason, my mother won't eat it. But it is so mild and so easy - I try not to think about it.
Jennifer said…
Peggy - Thanks for being my partner in crime and convincing me to make the fish tacos. I am not a fish fan either, but I thought these turned out well. That sauce is tasty, but boy was it HOT!!!
Unknown said…
I am glad you liked these tacos, even after your scavenger hunt for the ingredients! Thanks for cooking my pick with me this week ;)
Sara/Imafoodblog.com
Maria said…
I am all about fish tacos! They are so good!!
Aggie said…
I loved that chipotle sauce too...I was dipping chips in it! It will probably be good on any sandwich...mmm...I'll have to try!

My chicken could have been thinner too, I guess I'll have to pound harder next time.

Both of your dishes look great!!
Anonymous said…
Both of them look great! I've read a lot of people today say that the lemon was pretty overpowering in the chicken picatta. Glad they were a hit with you!

~Delta Whiskey (Cat)
Audrey said…
Tilapia-wise, part of me wants to know, and part of me is having fun (not at your expense) just wondering... but it looks like you had one great meal and one pretty good one, and that's not bad. I love lemon chicken, and now I'm intrigued by the tacos.
Barbara Bakes said…
Chicken piccata is one of my favorite's I don't know why I don't think to make it at home. Sounds like a great recipe!
Pamela said…
I've seen this chicken Picata everywhere today and feel the urge to make it soon. Nice job on both the chicken and the tacos!
Matt's Kitchen said…
OK, now I'm intrigued by the whole tilapia mystery... I might have to e-mail you if you don't mind.

I think the hardest part of blogging for me is the photos. The lighting is either awful or the food is stubbornly unattractive or I'm just too hungry to want to deal with it. I do confess to taking so many pictures that my plate sometimes gets cold...
Anonymous said…
Very smart, cutting back on the lemon! I will have to do that next time.

Popular posts from this blog

Ina Garten's Deviled Eggs!

TWD - Steph’s Bakewell Tart

TWD - Brown Sugar Bundt Cake