CEiMB - Chicken Paella with Sausage and Olives

Our CEiMB is back up and running after a short break!  Margaret of Tea and Scones chose our recipe this week for the group.  I decided after checking out the recipe it would be something Chandler would love so I prepared it for his lunch on Father's day!  The only substitution I made was the sausage.  They had chorizo sausage at Publix, but it did not seem to be too fresh as the last date of sale was two days from now.  So I substituted Cajun smoked sausage and it had quite a spicey bite to it!  I was not quite sure how green olives would blend with this mixture of meat and rice, but they added a very nice flavor to it.  If you notice the tomatoes are missing in this photo, they are!  I forgot to add them when I was preparing it, but they did get added after the photo.  And my photo is not very good because as usual, I was in too much of a hurry to plan and stage a lovely photo!

I don't know how it is in your part of the country, but it is hot here.  And I mean HAWT.  Like 98 degrees on Sunday.  Remember when we were little we would put on swimsuits and run through the sprinkler and it was so cold on our little hot bodies but we did not care?  My neighbors would probably have me committed if I did that now.  I'll just settle for some ice cold lemonade instead.  Have you ever thought about how much time you have spent buying swimsuits?  I actually picked a swimsuit off the rack at Kohls the other day and without trying it on brought it home and it fit. Usually it is harder to choose.  One makes our stomach look big. That one makes our hips look wide. This one flattens our chest out like a pancake and that one shows cleavage down to our navel. This other one rides up our rear like a letter in a mailbox. My motto is show a lot of cleavage and then the viewers will never get down as low as the stomach, hips, and legs. Problem is I don't have cleavage either!!  I know I know - TMI.

This paella was very easy to prepare.  I did have to bake it a bit longer than the recipe said as my rice did not cook as fast as it should have.  We loved this and I will definitely make it again!  Check it out for yourself and please go check out Margaret's blog and see what she did with hers.  Just click on her link above.

Recipe
1 T plus 2 tsp olive oil

3 oz chorizo sausage with casing removed, sliced into 1/4" rounds
1 lb skinless boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1" pieces
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 10 oz package frozen peas
1 cup uncooked white rice
1 large ripe tomato, chopped
1/4 cup sliced green Spanish pimento-stuffed olives
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/8 tsp ground turmeric
small pinch of saffron threads

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Heat 1 T of oil in large heavy skillet over medium-high heat (use a skillet that has a lid to cover)
Add the chorizo and cook, stir occasionally until browned, about 3 minutes.
Add the chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned about 5 minutes.
Transfer the chicken and chorizo to a plate.
Heat the remaining 2 tsp of oil in the skillet,
Add the onion, and cook stirring until softened about 3-5 minutes
Add the garlic and continue to cook for a minute more.
Return the chicken and chorizo to the skillet
Add the chicken broth, peas, rice, tomato, olives, salt, pepper, turmeric, and saffron.
Cover and finish cooking in the oven for 30 minutes.

Comments

Kayte said…
We liked it as well, and I will make it again. 600 cals seemed like a lot, but it was for 2 cups worth, and I thought 1 cup was plenty for me...the guys ate 2 cups of it, though. LOL on your tomatoes, I can't tell you how many times I finish a dish and find an ingredient still on the counter...too many distractions with kids in and out while I am cooking! Your Paella looks great!
Marthe said…
Your paella looks very tasty!Mine needed to be spiced up just a little bit more: I added 1/8 tsp of cayennepepper, 1/8 tsp of paprika powder and a bit more salt and pepper. I did add my tomatoes, but somehow they seem to have vanished into the paella.... Because I couldn't find my Dutch oven I simply cooked mine for about 25 minutes on the stove. I really liked it!
Joanne said…
Great job on the Paella.
As for swimsuits, hate, HATE buying them. Too much money for so little fabric. I do like the idea of showing the cleavage to prevent the eyes from wandering lower. Good suggestion. Come to think of it, is going topless legal?
Even without the tomatoes, the paella looks like a tasty treat. It was tasty and I am sure mine was less spicey than most of you.

After dinner, my husband told me to write a bit YES next to this recipe. If I only knew where he wanted me to write it.

For some reason Blogger did not have a comment box on the TWD recipe. It is not you and it is not me. We will blame it on Blogger.
Sarah said…
Good job on the paella, I am glad you liked it, so did I. It was a real surprise for me, but I couldn't believe how much the olives added to the overall flavor of it. It actually took less time for the rice to be cooked all the way through for me, about 20 minutes.
TeaLady said…
It was a partial hit here, but only because it wasn't spicy enough. Ditto on forgetting things. Still happens here. but it looks good from here.

You DON'T run thru' the sprinkler any more?? Cannot wait for g'dau to grow a little so I can run thru' with her....
Bri said…
We loved this, too! I'm not a big fan of olives, but I also found that they added great flavor, so I'm glad I didn't omit them.

I hear you on swimsuits! I haven't bought one in two years, and that's only because I was pregnant at the time and needed a maternity one! Hate shopping for them.
Anonymous said…
This looks yummy, and I'm cracking up over your bathing suit paragraph! I love swimming and the beach but hate suit shopping!! Luckily I've seen some much cuter cover-ups lately so I feel a little more covered.

Popular posts from this blog

Ina Garten's Deviled Eggs!

TWD - Steph’s Bakewell Tart

TWD - Brown Sugar Bundt Cake