TWD - Rum Drenched Vanilla Cakes a week late?? Rewind?

Wendy of Pink Stripes chose last week's Rum Drenched Vanilla Cakes.  I meant to make this cake all week long. I finally got around to it on Saturday, almost a week late.  Now I will be a week late on this week's pick because we have been out of town for the 4th of July and just returned today, with more housework than one woman can possibly handle in a day.  Anyway, my apologies to Wendy for being late with this post.  The cake tasted a bit Sara Lee to me.  I opted not to put rum in it and instead used a bit of almond flavoring.  While it was good, it was a tiny bit dry - wonder if I overcooked it.  If I had cooked as long as Dorie said, it definitely would have been overdone.  Maybe my oven cooks faster than hers.  I love pound cake of any kind, so thanks Wendy for a great pick!!  As you can see, I wrapped that baby in foil and took to the lake with us.  We had it for breakfast, lunch and dinner!

Comments

AmyRuth said…
Umm yum. Its an anytime cake in my book. Beautiful photo with the slices. Looks like angels should be in the background. btw you saved yourself some calories on the tarte my friend. We had a quiet 4th thanks, although the lake time sounds way fun. So glad you played. That's a good thing. I will tell you the tart is outstanding. Just use great chocolate you like. That's way important because it is the tart.
AmyRuth
Di said…
Looks good to me! I think the rum syrup (or whatever flavor you go with) helps keep it from being too dry.
Kayte said…
Almond flavoring sounds wonderful! I have no idea if it was dry or not as we doused it in strawberries and whipped cream...plenty of juice to go around with that! Yours looks lovely, and I am still liking the sound of that almond flavoring. Next time.
Joanne said…
I love the sound of that cake - rum drenced. I don't think I would have the will power to leave out the rum. Great pic, Peggy.

Popular posts from this blog

Ina Garten's Deviled Eggs!

TWD - Steph’s Bakewell Tart

TWD - Brown Sugar Bundt Cake