FOFF - Irish "Stout" Beef Stew

My friend Joanne and I are cooking our way through Carla Vavalas' book, Fusion of Food + Friends.  You can buy the book on Amazon for a mere $10.  I have yet to cook anything from it that was not tasty.  I am a day early posting this as Joanne likes to post on Thursdays.  Check out her webpage tomorrow to see what delicious something she has cooked up!

I chose Carla's Irish "Stout" stew this week because it has been cold and rainy here for a few days.  The recipe calls for a stout beer and red wine, or just a regular beer.  Since my husband's favorite beer is Guinness, that is what I wanted to use, but we were out.  I opted for another beer that was dark. I did add just a half cup of white wine (instead of the suggested red) because that is what I had open in my refrigerator.


It was delicious served with some fresh french bread.  I cooked it in the crockpot since the recipe said it needed to simmer for a while to get the bitter taste of the stout out. 
The stew was amazing and we did not notice any bitter taste.  If you want the recipe, email me.  Or buy Carla's book!  This is about the fifth recipe I have tried from it and they have all been good.

Comments

Unknown said…
This looks and sounds wonderful with the beer.
Joanne said…
Wonderful Peggy! I'm so excited. You did a great job. I'll put the recipe up tomorrow and...I stole your pic - too good :)
Kayte said…
Looks good...you are all always making things with stout and I am the last to get onboard with this whole stout thing...I feel out of the loop. Nancy is even making ice cream with it! lol This looks great.
TeaLady said…
This does look warm and comforting for a rainy day. It's a lot like mine but I leave out the beer. Maybe next time I made stew.

Popular posts from this blog

Ina Garten's Deviled Eggs!

TWD - Steph’s Bakewell Tart

TWD - Brown Sugar Bundt Cake