Hot Chicken Salad

Well here I am after a brief blog "vacation."  We have been travelling this summer so no time for cooking or baking.  Soon we will be traveling again to help my future daughter-in-law choose a wedding dress.  I'm very excited about being included in the shopping trip for that.  Of course, all the dresses are going to be beautiful.

I think I have been watching too many westerns this summer.  I had a hankering to cook pioneer food this entire week and serve to my cowboy.  But after thinking about how much fried food there would probably be, I'm putting that off for a few weeks. I still intend to challenge myself and do it.

Last week, I was fortunate enough to have lunch at my friend Pat's house and she served the most delicious hot chicken salad.  I have tweaked the recipe just a bit for my own tastes.  Very easy to put together if you use a rotisserie chicken like I do.  For a different variation, add a cup of cooked rice to the mix. All you really need to go with it is a salad and a slice of bread..  We happened to have some leftover squash casserole (using squash from my very own garden), some baked beans, watermelon, and a jalapeno pepper (again, from  my garden).  It has been a lot of fun to go out each evening and see what vegetable surprises await me there.  So far I only have gotten two tomatoes from my vines, but lots of squash and cucumbers.  Soon I will have okra.



I spoke with a good friend this morning who is giving me some Amish Friendship Bread starter. I cannot wait for that.  I did that one time years ago and it was fun.  Stay tuned in a week or two to see the results.

Hot  Chicken Salad Casserole


  • 2 cups cooked chicken breast meat, cubed
  • 1 cup diced celery
  • 1/4 onion chopped
  • one small carrot finely chopped
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 1 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 cup grated medium Cheddar
  • 2/3 cup crushed Kettle potato chips

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 13 by 9-inch baking dish with vegetable oil cooking spray.
In a large mixing bowl combine the all ingredients except the chips and cheese. Place the mixture in the prepared baking dish. Spread the cheese on top, then the crushed potato chips. Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until bubbly.

Comments

Unknown said…
Simple and delicious!! Yum!
Anonymous said…
i love how its topped with chips!
Joanne said…
Exciting! Your son is getting married?! Hope you really love the dress shopping. I actually hated shopping for a wedding dress (or in my case BOTH wedding dresses).

It's that last ingredient - the Kettle chips that made my mouth water ;) No one can resist a chip.
The recipe does look delish.
Kayte said…
Wow...what fun to be included in shopping for the wedding dress...as a mother of sons, this is encouraging news as I thought I was going to be left out of all of that in the future...maybe not. Love Hot Chicken Salad...this is not the same recipe I use, but it sounds delicious and I like that pop of color that the orange gives it. Will have to try that sometime.

Popular posts from this blog

Ina Garten's Deviled Eggs!

TWD - Steph’s Bakewell Tart

TWD - Brown Sugar Bundt Cake