Pound Cake in Honor of Mother's Day!

My mother was a pistol as they say.  Clever, funny, smart, beautiful, talented, and a great cook.  She passed away five years ago and not a day goes by that I do not think of her and miss her.  I am sure I get my love of cooking from her.  She loved to make cakes, especially pound cakes.  She must have had ten recipes for pound cakes.  Chocolate ones, buttermilk ones, sour cream ones, swirled ones, plain ones, etc.

I must have been in my 20's when someone at church gave me their pound cake recipe.  I made one and shared with my mom and even years later we both agreed it was the best pound cake recipe around.  We never found one that was better.  We even named it "Best Poundcake Ever."

In honor of mother's day this Sunday, I baked that pound cake.  It was so moist and delicious.  I know mom would be proud of my cake.  Notice a piece missing?  That was ME tasting it right out of the oven while it was still warm.  So good!  When it gets a tiny bit stale, I like to butter it and toast it and enjoy for breakfast.


BEST POUNDCAKE EVER

1 stick butter
1 cup crisco shortening
five eggs
1 cup milk
3 cups plain flour
1/2 teas. baking powder
1/2 teas. salt
3 cups sugar
1 T. vanilla flavoring

Cream butter, shortening and sugar.  Add in eggs one at a time.  Add dry ingredients and vanilla.  Cook at 325 degrees for 55-60 minutes in a well-greased bundt pan.  let cool ten minutes before removing from pan.  Keep tightly covered.

Happy Mother's Day Mom!

Comments

Anonymous said…
The cake is a lovely tribute to your Mom. Hubby asks for pound cake second to nut cake.

Popular posts from this blog

Ina Garten's Deviled Eggs!

TWD - Steph’s Bakewell Tart

TWD - Brown Sugar Bundt Cake