Roasted Delicata Squash Rigatoni with Greens




It has been a while since I posted.  Yes.a.while.  This week I reconnected with some friends and we decided to cook together again!  Even though we are miles and miles apart, we have fun connecting.  We have named our group Good Friends Good Food.  Check out grandmaskitchentable.typepad.com and teaandscones.wordpress.com for more squash deliciousness!  If you would like to join our group, we would love to have you!  Just leave a message in the comments below. We plan to be creative and have fun with green beans on September 25th!  Come join us!

I think with the Covid virus keeping us more homebound, more of us are cooking at home.  I know I am!  We decided to do a squash recipe this week.  I had gotten some delicata squash in my vegetable co-op last week so I decided to use that.  I had never heard of this kind of squash.  Apparently, the skin is thin so its edible.  Just a good wash and you are ready to slice and dice.  I am sure you could substitute any type squash if you wanted something other than the delicata.

I chose this rigatoni dish because anything pasta goes over well at my house.  Chandler would be ready, willing, and able to eat pasta every night.  It would seriously be okay with him!  This is a very light cream base pasta.  Very easy to make and serves up nicely.  The leftovers the next night were even more delicious!

Roasted Delicata Squash Rigatoni with Greens

  • 1 delicata squash
  • 2 T. extra virgin olive oil
  • ½ tsp. kosher salt
  • 1/2 small red onion
  • 1 teaspoon garlic
  • 1 teaspoon red chili flakes
  • 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
  • ½ pound rigatoni
  • ¼ cup heavy cream
  • ¼ cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese
  • 2 cups fresh spinach 

Instructions
Heat oven to 400 degrees
Trim stem and root end off squash and slice squash.  Remove the seeds and cut into one inch chunks.
Mix in bowl with olive oil, salt, onion, garlic, and chili flakes. Mix together.
Transfer to baking sheet and roast 20-25 minutes.
Drizzle balsamic over squash while hot.
Cook rigatoni in boiling water.
Before draining the pasta, add the spinach to your colander.  The hot pasta will slightly cook the spinach.
Transfer all back to pot and add cream and parmesan.
Add squash to the pasta and toss.  Serve hot!



























Comments

ostwestwind said…
What a great idea to found a new group. I "met" Margaret and Kathryn years ago at Tuesdays with Dorie. Any chance to participate from over the pond?

I am a huge fan of green beans

Ulrike
Peggy said…
Oh please do join in! I was on tuesdays with dorie as well!
TeaLady said…
Peggy, this looks delicious. I love pasta and I love squash and I know the two of them together would be wonderful. Glad to be back blogging again looking forward to our next adventure with food.
Kayte said…
Peggy, this looks like a great recipe and one that I am going to try when I find my next delicata squash. Like Chan, Mark loves pasta and could eat a little every single day...all these ingredients are ones he will like together, I'm sure of it. Thanks for picking/posting it. So good to be back cooking with you again. xo~Kayte
ostwestwind said…
So count me in, how it will work

Greetings from Northern Germany

Ulrike
https://kuechenlatein.com
Kayte said…
Ulrike, great...counting you in! We will add your blog address each time to our posts so that anyone can connect from our blogs to yours. I usually do that at the end of my regular posts by saying something like, "To check out the recipes from others in this group, please click on their names" and then I list the names...Margaret, Peggy, Ulrike, etc. Since we are a small group, that should work. We are posting every other Friday, so if you would like to make a squash post, it's not too late to do that between now and then. So far, the three of us just picked squash as we had it on hand and green beans for next time because fresh ones are still in season here. Feel free to suggest something anytime and we can add it to the lineup. You just pick any recipe you like that fits in with the theme (squash this week, green beans in two weeks), cook it, photo it, and post it. Since you will be a regular, we will automatically hop over to your blog to check but if you like, you can leave a link to it in any of our comment sections. No posting requirements...if you don't want to make something, no big deal, just skip that ingredient. This is just for fun and no pressure at all. Any other questions? You are an old hand at this, so I'm sure this will be easy for you!
ostwestwind said…
We do not have squashes in Germany, we have only the same one word for squashes and pumpkins ;-)

It's easy to find hokkaido, hard to find acorn or delicata, and butternut (squash) are just coming in season in local cultivation. so I just join with green beans ...
Donna said…
Peggy, this looks so easy and delicious! I did a screenshot of the recipe so I can make it when we return home.

Popular posts from this blog

Ina Garten's Deviled Eggs!

TWD - Steph’s Bakewell Tart

TWD - Brown Sugar Bundt Cake