Good Food Good Friends - Cabbage



Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!  I had birthday followed by huge Thanksgiving feast, followed by birthday party of my adorable yummy four year old granddaughter!  I was fooded out (is that a word) the early part of this week, but I am ready to eat again now!  

 Okay so how many of you watch the precious videos of Brenda Gantt cooking?   Oh my goodness what a joy she is to watch.   I was inspired by her this week when I watched her make cabbage casserole.  I had never heard of it, but my dear friend in Atlanta, Carol, told me how much she liked it so I gave it a try.

It is easy to put together.  The first night we did not like it much, but the following nights it grew on us and it seemed to get better and better.  For me, however, I think I will stick to plain, boiled cabbage from now on.  There was just something not right for me with cheese mixed with cabbage!  Everyone should try it though.  Might just be your favorite comfort food ever!

Our members:


Recipe:


INGREDIENTS

  • 1 small head green cabbage
  • 1 chopped Sweet onion
  • 8 tablespoons butter
  • salt and pepper
  • 1 (10-ounce) can condensed cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup
  • 1/3 cup mayonnaise

TOPPING

  • 3 tablespoons melted butter
  • 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
  • 1 sleeve Ritz crackers coarsely crushed

INSTRUCTIONS

  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 2-quart casserole dish.
  • Coarsely chop the cabbage. Melt butter in a large nonstick pan. Add cabbage and onion and cook 8 to 10 minutes, stirring frequently, or until it is partially cooked down. 
    Season to taste with salt and pepper. 
  • Transfer cabbage mixture to prepared baking dish.
  • In a small bowl, stir together soup and mayonnaise. Spread mixture over cabbage.
  • In a bowl, stir together melted butter, cheese, and cracker crumbs. Sprinkle over casserole.
  • Bake for 30 minutes or until topping is browned.



Comments

Kayte said…
I have not watched the videos you mentioned, I will check that out. Your casserole looks like the ultimate comfort food. I think that would go over here well and will make a small version of it to try it out, I can adjust the canned soup ingredient as I've learned to make my own version over the years. It looks like a nice dish to have on a cold wintery evening. I see those coming around sooner rather than later here.
TeaLady said…
I love casseroles especially with a nice crunchy cheesy topping. YUM!!
Donna said…
Your casserole demonstrates a great way to serve cabbage in a new way. I have been so unimaginative in the past. I love that it is relatively easy and does not have a lot of complicated ingredients. The improving taste for leftovers is also definitely a plus.

Popular posts from this blog

Ina Garten's Deviled Eggs!

TWD - Steph’s Bakewell Tart

TWD - Brown Sugar Bundt Cake