Good Friends Good Food - Leek and Bacon Linguine
This week in our GFGF group Kayte chose onions or leeks for us. Since we are not really onion lovers here in this house I thought I would try the leeks. My DH will not eat anything onion, but he loves pasta so I thought it was worth a try. First, I had never cooked with leeks so I had to google and make sure I washed and chopped them correctly. Thank goodness for google right?
This was amazingly easy to prepare. And it was totally delicious!
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 slices bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 medium leeks, white and pale-green parts only, sliced in circles (if you do not love leeks, you could cut this down to one leek)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup chicken broth (I use Better than Buillion)
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 16 ounces linguine
- 3/4 cup finely grated Parmesan, plus more for garnish
- 1-2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Melt butter in a large heavy pot over medium heat. Add bacon and cook, stirring often, until fat is rendered and bacon is crisp, 7-10 minutes. Add leeks and season with salt and pepper.
- Increase heat to medium-high and cook, stirring often, until leeks begin to brown, 5-8 minutes. Add broth and stir to remove browned bits from bottom of pan. Stir in cream. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce is thickened and coats the back of a spoon, 5-8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain, reserving 1 cup of the pasta cooking liquid.
- Add cooked pasta, 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese, and 1/2 cup pasta cooking liquid to the cream sauce and stir to coat. Add more cooking liquid as needed, until sauce reaches desired consistency.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Before serving, garnish with additional Parmesan cheese and fresh parsley, if desired.