GFGF - Parsnips!



 I have to admit I have never in my life eaten a parsnip.  When Ulrike chose parsnips as our vegetable this week, I was thinking they were like carrots.  I also had no idea how to cook them so I looked on Pinterest for some ideas.  I decided just to roast them because I love roasted vegetables!  I also love carrots so I decided to mix the two together!   

My grandchildren are here with us this weekend and when they saw the roasted parsnips they got really excited because they thought they were french fries.  However one bite and they both threw them back onto their plate!  

Chandler and I actually thought they were pretty good.  They do taste more like potatoes than carrots!  They are not a low carb food either as I had hoped.  But I am really glad we tried these.

Slice carrots and parsnips into small strips.  Put on baking pan lined with parchment.  Drizzle olive oil over all.  Sprinkle 1 T Italian seasoning over.   Sprinkle 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese.  Bake at 350 for about thirty minutes or until tender.  

I think you should check these blogs for more parsnips!

grandmaskitchentable.typepad.com  Kayte
teaandscones.wordpress.com  Margaret
Https://kuechenlatein.com Ulrike


Comments

ostwestwind said…
Parsnips are an "old" vegetable and for a long time nearly forgotten here in Germany.
Roasting them is my favourite way.

Fortunately I can eat them, holding my weight ...
Kayte said…
So funny about the parsnips being mistaken for French fries...and the reaction to such. Your parsnips and carrots look really good, so easy, too. This is how I usually prepare them...that and in stews or soups...we have them occasionally so it was fun to go in search of a new recipe. Nice to hear that you liked them and that you tried something new, which is what I love about cooking in groups, I've tried so many things I would never have if it hadn't been for group cooking.
TeaLady said…
Parsnip fries!!! I may have to try that. I think the majority of people roast them. A new taste for both of us.

Popular posts from this blog

Ina Garten's Deviled Eggs!

TWD - Steph’s Bakewell Tart

TWD - Brown Sugar Bundt Cake